My Bumpy Middle Aged Long Hair Journey
It is the hottest day of the year here to this point. The temperature as of 4:00PM, about 50 minutes in the past, was 33 C/91 F with a humidex of forty four C/111 F. That’s pretty darn hot. My son is playing baseball tonight, however I don’t think they ought to be playing in this type of heat. Typically I sound like such a mother. Well, I suppose that’s because I am a mother. His recreation is out of city, and i won’t be going, however he’d better keep hydrated.
Anyway, it’s too sizzling to think much about hair at this time. I just threw my hair up in a fast updo, and have not given it another thought till right now.
Last night, I believed that I’d examine for break up ends. It’s at all times a good suggestion every so often to test for them, as they ought to be lower out as soon as I see them.
Chopping out break up ends is essential, not just for the look of the hair, but additionally because splits can travel up, break off with a raggedy ends, and generally cause tangles that create but more splits.
I am very lucky in that I nonetheless haven’t any break up ends at my present size. I used to be by no means that fortunate prior to now.
While individuals are likely to suppose that colouring hair is just in regards to the worst factor one can do for one’s hair, I would should disagree. My hair has been coloured for some 20 years, but it is solely in the final couple of years that I’ve managed to have hair beneath shoulder size that doesn’t have splits.
I feel that there are a few crucial the explanation why I have no splits. Here they’re.
1. No Heat Styling: I am convinced at this point that there is nothing extra damaging to hair than blowdrying and utilizing hot irons, as I did in the past. I can remember discovering splits in my hair when my hair was barely beneath chin length when i used a scorching blow dryer and hot irons.
2. No Brushing or Combing When Hair is Wet: I used to comb my hair, or even brush it when it was nonetheless wet. I believed that I was being careful. Even back earlier than I discovered perm waves before and after more about hair care, I did learn about detangling hair from the bottom up. What I did not notice is just how damaging manipulating wet hair is. Wet hair is very elastic, and if it’s stretched past what it ought to, it won’t ever go back to regular. A lot as an elastic band wears out after repeated usage, hair will put on out and lose its elasticity as properly. Wet hair isn’t solely vulnerable to breakage, however when brushed or combed, it may possibly result in cut up ends.
Nowadays, I let my hair air dry nearly fully, at which time I very, very gently finger comb from the underside up.
After it’s completely dry, and solely then, I use a large-toothed comb to finish detangling, once more working gently from the bottom up. I do brush my hair day by day , however I strive to make use of a brush solely minimally, often after making use of oil.
3. Using Conditioner: This feels like a no-brainer, but there are individuals who, when in a hurry, skip the conditioner. I can not stress sufficient how vital moisturizing you hair is to help reduce splits. Additionally, conditioner provides slip that helps to prevent tangles. I feel everyone knows that tangles can lead to break up ends. Additionally, relying on your hair kind, you might want to use a pea-sized drop of your favourite conditioner, rub it in your hands and apply it to the ends. I’ve additionally mentioned before that I am an excellent believer in using a drop of oil on the ends to add an additional buffer. I do both.
4. Put on Protective Updos: Wearing hair up saves hair from the wear and tear of rubbing day after day towards one’s clothes. Braids are additionally protective, however putting the braid in a bun, or folded up is better still. There are updos which depart the ends of the hair untucked. These updos are nonetheless protective, as the ends aren’t being uncovered to friction. A completely tucked updo is still probably the most protective
5. Correct Evening Time Care: I wear my hair in a scrunchie bun right on the highest of my head. The scrunchies I take advantage of are made from silk satin. I also sleep on a satin pillow case, which reduces friction. For shorter hair, a French Braid is another good sleep choice. There are additionally many people who wear silk sleep caps to guard their hair. That would by no means work for me, as I move around too much in my sleep, however for folks with very delicate hair, it is a great possibility.
Finally though, everybody finally ends up getting splits at some size or one other. When you think about how old the ends are by the time your hair hits waist size or longer, it is not surprising.
It actually is necessary to cut out splits whenever you see them. Many people do a weekly session of searching for and trimming out splits. The really essential factor when doing that is to have a pair of very sharp hair scissors. Some hair scissors or barber shears may be costly, but I’ve discovered some glorious offers on eBay.
Even if you are just starting to develop out you hair, deal with it with the care you’ll if it is already lengthy. That care will certainly repay years from now.